Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 06, 2001 at 19:16:30:

In Reply to: Comments from an old tuba player posted by Bruce H on August 06, 2001 at 09:43:02:

You are on the right track for someone who wants to play for the enjoyment of playing.

Too many of us were convinced that the orchestra job was the only way to go and the only way to get there was to own all the "right" equipment. So, it's a CC tuba, an F or Eb tuba, several mutes and more mouthpieces than I could count through the years.

And what did all that money get me? Freelancing for the past 30 years using the big horn and the 1 mute occasionally. Seldom have I needed the small horn (in fact, I sold the first one and did not even need it for almost 10 years!!!and playing in a pit orchestra never ever needed the F tuba) and only bought another F tuba because I wanted it, not to get an orchestra job.

The best skill any player can acquire is to become a musician, which means learning and appreciating many different styles (dixieland, German, jazz, pop, swing, how to sound like a string bass, etc.), and the second is to learn how to get along with others.

Follow Ups: