Re: Marching band-oh, what fun!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ammonrog on August 06, 2001 at 23:13:42:

In Reply to: Marching band-oh, what fun! posted by Nick on August 03, 2001 at 23:54:25:

Okay, everyone else seems to have valuable insight on not passing out in the position of attention. I've been teaching marching band in one of the hottest towns (way out in the Arizona desert) in America for 11 years. I've only had a few kids pass out and only one of those with any kind of physical damage (face, concrete, red liquid dripping all over the place...not pretty).

To summarize:

1. Don't lock your knees. This will cut off blood flow to the upper body and thus cause the introduction of your face to the ground without your knowledge.

2. Drink lots of water. Go to the circle K the night before and get a bottle of water. Leave it in the freezer over night and then you have a block of ice to nurse all day.

3. Eat something light before band practice. Nothing with too much oil or grease like pancakes or eggs. Those will give you stomach cramps and make your band director upset when you have to break the position of attention to run to the bathroom every few minutes. Dairy product like milk may curdle faster in your stomach when standing in the heat and you don't want that either. Try grapes and/or fresh fruit along with lots of water.

4. Don't let your mind wander. Keep your attention on what you are doing. Ever see Lawrence of Arabia? If your mind wanders, you'll just fall off your camel and then...you get the picture.

5. Wear a hat.

6. Keep a wet towel around your neck when you're outside.

7. Don't (and this is very important). I mean DON'T look at the girls...especially not the seniors, they're deadly.

8. Don't (if you're one of those senior girls). I mean DON'T look at the boys...especially the freshmen! If you can manage this, not only will you not pass out, you'll live forty more years and live a stress-free, peaceful existence to boot!!

Follow Ups: