Re: Tuba Cosmetics Question. Need Help!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wcc3 on August 07, 2001 at 09:15:25:

In Reply to: Tuba Cosmetics Question. Need Help!!! posted by Santos on August 07, 2001 at 05:51:13:

I'm not a tuba player, but I have some experience with solvents. Watch the more aggressive ones like Carbon Tet, Acetone, MEK (nail polish remover), and the like. They could dissolve the lacquer finish of the instrument.

The oils (peanut butter, vegetable oils) sure seem safest for the finish to me. I'd try them first.

Failing that, I'd try alcohols starting with isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and graduating to methanol and ethanol (denatured alcohol).

Mineral spirits (paint thinner) and aromatics (WD-40) come next.

I'd save MEK and acetone as very last resorts.

Whatever you try, try it first on an unobtrusive place. That way if it does strip the finish, at least you didn't trash a spot right out in front where it'll show.

The modern epoxy finishes will stand a wider variety of solvents than the true lacquers used on older instruments.

The trick thing here is to find a solvent that will dissolve the label gunk without dissolving the finish.

Of course, if the instrument has a bare metal finish of some sort (Do they lacquer silver instruments?), you can use almost any hydrocarbon solvent safely.

Follow Ups: