Re: Re: Re: purchasing a CC...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 08, 2001 at 15:45:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: purchasing a CC... posted by Jay Bertolet on August 08, 2001 at 14:38:50:

Your comment almost precisely mirrors something Mike Sanders has also said on this forum. He told the story of having an opportunity to play his old Alexander again about ten years after he'd sold it. If I'm remembering the story correctly, he played it for a few minutes and then went back to his Yorkbrunner, because the Alexander required too much work to balance the rest of the orchestra.

And many years ago--within a year of switching to the York copy--he told me that the hardest thing he'd had to learn with the Yorkbrunner was to relax and let the horn do the work.

The fact that he apparently relates to the Hirsbrunner York copy exactly the way you describe relating to the Nirschl York copy is a matter of differences between the two instruments and players. Both of those instruments are of the same type.

From the listener's perspective, it has always sounded to me like tubists with the big horns are working less hard than tubists with 4/4 horns. This is completely separate in my mind from loudness or bigness. I've always called it an "easy" sound, with a quality of "sweetness" (I use the quotes because these are the terms I have used to describe the effect going back 17 years). And, no, it's not the player--I'm comparing the sound of the same player on the two instruments. The 2165 seems to be different than the other York-alikes, though, because it seems much more difficult to play (for me) and hasn't had that same quality of sound on the rare occasions when I've heard it played in comparison to an Alex. I'm a good test for ease of playing--if I can make sounds on it at all, it must be easy to play.

Rick "who can't define 'easy sound' but who knows it when he hears it" Denney

Follow Ups: