Re: Practice mutes!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on August 08, 2001 at 18:07:25:

In Reply to: Practice mutes! posted by Devin on August 07, 2001 at 22:28:41:

I've taken up the habit of practicing with a mute in. I picked up the habit from my bass-trombone playing roommate.

I've noticed some improvements when I play with the mute in. I use an actual practice mute with a foam collar, and I play along with recordings. I have to yank all the slides and listen like crazy, but what a workout! At the end of working like that, I can pull the mute, re-place the slides, and play like butter.

I think what the mute does, besides increase the resistance of the air, is to make our note shapes obvious to the ear. It eliminates the extra "fluff" around the note and lets you hear what you are actually doing. In effect we are performing a real-time reality check on our phrasing and articulation. When you get the articulations and phrases right with a mute, it will be easy without.

But keep in mind, even though the immediate results seem staggering at times, the long term result should always be kept in mind. Just like long tones and scales, practice with the mute in on a routine basis to develope the "feel" for the mute and the style of playing. You'll more easily be able to switch to that when you need it.

Good Luck.

Dan

Follow Ups: