Re: Re: Re: Hungarian March: CC or F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 08, 2001 at 22:32:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Hungarian March: CC or F posted by Klaus on August 07, 2001 at 10:44:00:

In studying Berlioz's scores and writings, it seems to me that he's the quintissential "tweener". He really loved low brass and writing in a grand scale. He also had a vision of what the possibilities for a true bass tuba were without the actual existence of said instrument. Maybe it was the cocaine? ;-)

I think the journey into the Abyss that you speak of is one of a few of Berlioz's orchestrations that screams for an actual bass tuba rather than ophicliede. In many of his works, it is obvious that the intention was two ophicliedes. Even in Fantastique there are instances where he obviously meant two ophicliedes in different keys. But occasionally that vision he had of the true bass tuba shines through and I think the part you speak of is one such. But this has nothing to do with the Hungarian March, a completely different part of the work and of an altogether different texture and orchestration. When I've done the complete Damnation of Faust, the first player used a bass tuba and the second player used a contrabass tuba. It works surprisingly well. The second part doesn't have that much in it so using a contrabass tuba isn't a serious difficulty. The only reason I even consider this is because of the writings of Berlioz. He obviously had in his mind a real tuba sound and no outlet for it.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: