Re: Re: Best Professional BBb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I don't usually come here on August 08, 2001 at 22:57:48:

In Reply to: Re: Best Professional BBb Tuba posted by anon on August 08, 2001 at 22:20:59:

While a CC has many "advantages" over BBb, lets not omit some important info.

I, must admit, I use a CC tuba.

1) It's "known" that many CONDUCTORS (yes, the people who hire you) prefer the sound of a CC tuba. The conductor doesn't know or care what kind of tuba you're using, he's interested in A) Sound B)Rythm and even C) MUSIC.

So, don't worry about what tuba you are using, get the SOUND. I use a CC tuba because the CC tuba I have *Helps* me produce the sound I, and others, want

2) Mr. Gene Pokorny can pick up an old 3 valve Conn BBb tuba, and he is still going to play like Mr. Gene Pokorny! (I use "Mr." because he, and all the other great artists of our instrument DESERVE the respect to at least be called "Mr.")

I like to say, "The player makes the horn, but it helps to have nice equipment." I often borrow my friends old King BBb because it's a fun little tuba to play. I still sound like me, but there are things that make playing that King harder than playing my CC, which is a PT-6P by the way, and it was worth every penny and more that I spent.

My PT-6P is a great tuba, and what's best, IT WORKS FOR ME! It's easier for me to play in tune, and with a lot of fundamental on that tuba. But, lets not forget that there are great artists out there that DO indeed use a BBb tuba.

3) This maybe repititious, but necessary. It is all about the SOUND when dealing with tubas. If your getting a lot of compliments from your teachers, directors, maybe even some of the greats, or even the general public (remember, the public is why you have a job, or why there is a job market anyway), then you may want to consider staying with that tuba whether it is pitched in BBb, CC, Dd or whatever.

4) One last thing. Try the tubas that are out there, both BBb and CC, and get the advice of the great ones. They're bussy, but they love to help out a fellow tubist. Get their opinion at least. I thought I could buy a Kind BBb and it would be a great professional tuba at one time. After playing my PT and then going back to the King, my eyes were opened and I thanked God I got a PT and not a King.

I leave with a quote that saved me: "look around (at what the pro's are using). What are they using? There is probably a reason for that."

-Just be flexible and open minded :-)

Follow Ups: