Re: Tuba at Dillons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dillon on August 09, 2001 at 07:59:24:

In Reply to: Tuba at Dillons posted by Alex C on August 08, 2001 at 21:05:13:

An apology.

I must make an apology to Alex C. and the tuba community.

When Matt started with me 6 years ago, he was hired as a repairman. Over time he developed a specialty in the customization and repair of tubas. (The instrument, unfortunately that most repair people do not like to repair because of the size.) As time went by, Matt became more and more busy with tuba repairs, and also other projects that I had him work on for various manufactures.

During the last few years, our tuba sales have grown, and I also had Matt take on that responsibility, along with his repair work. Unfortunately, (or in our case, fortunately) we get many phone calls with questions about tubas, so Matt does not have the time on the repair bench he once had. He spends a good portion of his day answering emails, speaking with customers on the phone, and working with customers who want to buy a tuba. Matt tries to make every customer happy, and gets very upset when he can’t. To me, Matt lives his work. This gentleman “works, eats and sleeps tuba”. So, with Matt’s added responsibilities, he works as much as he can, and does as much as he can do, one day at a time.

I also do employee 2 other full time excellent repair people, (Fred and Andrea) but their time is taken up with other repairs.

Currently we have a repairman in training, and once he is “up to snuff”, he will be working with Matt on the big horns. This new gentleman’s name is James, and has been learning for the past year or so, and we hope to have him on full time repairs within the next few months. James has already been starting to do clean and services on tubas, with Matt and Andrea checking them over when he is finished. James will not replace Matt on repairs; he will work with him in getting the repairs out in a timely manner.

Also, when we have an instrument for an extended period of time, I tend to be very generous when it comes time for the bill, discounting the repair many $$$$$$, to compensate you for your inconvenience.

So at this time let me apologize to Alex C. and the rest of the tuba community for not doing our job in a timely manner.

Also, let me THANK ALL OF YOU for helping us to get to this point, because without growth, I would not be able to hire another employee to serve you.

All of us at Dillon Music hope to serve you better in the future.

Sincerely,
Steve Dillon
Dillon Music
www.dillonmusic.com

PS. We are currently in the process of changing over our email system, so please be away of our new addresses when writing to any of us.

PSS. Alex, I will be calling you personally today.

Follow Ups: