The professional tuba community is great

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce Hamilton on August 09, 2001 at 09:39:22:

I would like to describe my experience in looking for a horn. I have been playing my horn for about 15 years and I decided I wanted to upgrade to a better horn. I bought a Miraphone 186 in 1976 when I was a freshman in college. I sold it several years later. I really, really liked that horn. I have been playing a Yamaha YBB201 since then. I have never been real happy with that horn. It is a fine horn and blows good but it just isn't the horn for me and for the type of playing I do. I have been doing a wide variety of playing in more and more groups so this was the time to get a new(er) and better horn.

I did a lot of research on the internet. I sent Dave Fedderly at Baltimore Brass an e-mail of what I was looking for and what type of playing I do. Mr. Fedderly was more than gracious with his time and thoughts. He told me that he was expecting a horn to come in from Texas within a couple of weeks that I would be interested in. After 2 or 3 weeks Dave e-mailed me and said that the horn was sold in Texas and he would not be getting it. I had already made the decision to buy that horn from Dave if it came in. I was disapointed but I continued my search.

I then went to Matt Walters at Dillon. Matt had a horn that was just what I was looking for. Matt took the time to send me several big e-mails telling me about the horn. I asked so many questions about the horn that I think Matt kind of took it personally. I did not mean to offend Matt in any way. It's just that when I am getting ready to lay out a large chunk of change I like to be sure of my decision so I ask a lot of questions.

I also contacted Jeff Rideout at Custom Music about the PT-1. I have never played one but have heard and read very nice things about that horn. Jeff was very gracious in his e-mails and his follow ups. He also suggested another horn that I might be interested in.

I finally bought a Miraphone 186 from another source. I love the sound and the response of "my" horn. It is in fine shape but the finish is perhaps a bit more worn than I would have liked. And of course I could not pass up the price. Unfortunately when you have kids, price is a factor. There is also the "wife factor" to deal with. I wish I would have gotten back to Matt and made him a counter offer on his horn. I really wanted that horn. I don't know if Dillon "talks turkey" but I should have at least given them the chance to say no.

Anyway, I would like to say thanks to one and all for taking the time to help me find my horn. If are looking to buy a horn anyone of the gentlemen I mentioned would be more than willing to work with you to help you find a horn.

Follow Ups: