Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on August 10, 2001 at 12:55:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Rick Denney on August 10, 2001 at 10:09:51:

Rick wrote:

"I'm all for supporting the notion of everyone doing everything to be well-rounded, but some folks have talents so skewed
in one direction that trying to make them well-rounded both fails in adding diversity and also fails in developing that one
talent. "

I'll add that this philosophy of everybody doing everything to become "well-rounded" is given the sole merit in teacher education. When I was in college, the only students that were deemed as special needs were the ones that were disabled or suffered from ADHD (a real malady that I also have, but that's another story). A kid with a 140 IQ and a truckload of musical talent was treated just like the kid with average intelligence and average abilities. I think that's as much of a trasvesty as putting a mentally disabled child in AP Calculus (unless they show a huge talent in AP Calc...).

To put this in the context of a high school band, I think that Rick is right on the mark in allowing the "out" if the student can prove him/herself worthy. If the student truly has potential, as judged by outside professionals, and is dedicated enough to put forth the effort, let 'em! If the Powers That Be don't want to recognize the kids of exceptional talent are equally in need of special (or additional, or different) treatment, then it is up to the individual teachers to take that role to the best of their ability. It takes a special teacher to take on that responsibility and open themselves up to the possible repercussions.

SD

Follow Ups: