Re: Re: Marc. "concert hall" m.p. - advice (?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 10, 2001 at 22:10:43:

In Reply to: Re: Marc. "concert hall" m.p. - advice (?) posted by Ken Sturgeon on August 10, 2001 at 19:31:32:

Have you tried a Bach Megatone yet? I tried one myself and I wasn't impressed at all. I did as objective a test as I could think of and I used the same mouthpiece (in regular and heavyweight versions) with me and one of my horns (my Rudy). My tests showed that there was no appreciable difference in the sound of the two Bachs I tried (a regular 18 and a Megatone 18) but there was a substantial difference between the regular and heavyweight R&S Hellebergs I tried. I imagine that the difference is all the extra mass the R&S model uses. The Megatone mouthpieces do have extra mass but it is concentrated at the throat, not the cup area. I'm no physicist but I'm guessing that the extra mass on a Megatone isn't sufficient to dampen the sympathetic vibration loss adequately. I even contacted Roger Lewis through this BBS (he's the "R" in R&S) and asked him to produce a Bach 18 heavyweight using his design. He said it was coming but I haven't heard of it since. If you're really into Bach mouthpieces, I'm guessing that this mouthpiece (if it ever comes to market) would be a good bet for a quality heavyweight Bach style mouthpiece. I know I'll pick one up if they make it out of developement.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: