Re: Rudy Meinl 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me too on August 13, 2001 at 14:13:59:

In Reply to: Rudy Meinl 6/4 posted by Greg Crider on August 12, 2001 at 17:33:07:

Tried her out in the factory. Man, itīs just humongous, absolutely huge, totally awe-inspiring!
Plays a bit wooffy, giving you a sort of soggy feeling about the response at first, probably would take even more getting used to than the allready BIG 5/4 takes. But definitely thereīs a great sound in that horn if oneīs got the air and power to get it out of there. Mark my words, I didnīt dare go for that one with a 7litre air supply!
However, well consider this: how many orchestras are there one canīt flatten on the 5/4? Then, what kind of ensemble would you need to justify such a monstrously big tuba? Can you play soft enough on this beast not to flatten the orchestra without getting below the tubaīs minimum flow-rate it needs to respond or keep the sound secure and straight?

Yes, its BBBIIIGG, yes, it looks SEXY ( if one would like to use that term on a tuba, anyways), yes, I can feel that special tingling feeling in my finger-tips whenever I think about this tuba. And no, I wont buy one, cause itīs too much money on a horn youīll never be allowed to use by the conductor. (Think of deutschmark 15000 to 16000 for the basic yellow-brass 5/4 4 valve BBb against 32000!!! for the 6/4 BBb which is available in gold-brass only as far as I remember)

Olituba

Follow Ups: