Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 14, 2001 at 15:58:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Joe Baker on August 14, 2001 at 08:41:42:

No, you're right Joe. I do disagree with you. At least to a point. While I agree that it is the hope of schools that they produce "fully developed individuals", I still say that any music educator should be giving his students the skills necessary to perform on their instrument, no matter the level of expertise. Actually, I think that this is already happening to a greater extent. What I perceive to be the major difference between a magnet type school and regular schools is the addition to the music curriculum of other courses, such as music history, music theory, and private lessons. I'm not talking about the school giving private lessons to their students either, I'm talking about mandatory private lessons that are graded by the instructor and end up as part of the student's GPA. This is the part that the normal high school can't provide and what makes a magnet school desireable for the aspiring professional. But the courses you get at a magnet school that you also get at the regular high school are essentially the same, as they should be.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: