Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by from a Highschooler on August 14, 2001 at 23:49:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Klaus on August 14, 2001 at 20:33:01:

Bottom line is that this director doesn't want to be a stumblestone on James' road to becoming a player. He probably doesnt know much about tubas (though i would say he knows about the pitch of the tubas in question). The fact that the horn happens to be a Miraphone 186, which is a good instrument, has nothing to do with this situation. Would it hurt the blend/intonation/comradery of the group? The director would not know. He is probably just afraid that he will lose his section leader for an undisclosed amount of time while James learns new fingerings (even though he may already be proficient on the CC horn). Like all high school directors he has to think of the group first, and then try not to step on the toes of someone with talent, and assist in any way possible. These things are not always the easiest thing to mesh. Odds are he said no to James, not out of spite or dislike, but because he has not been properly informed as to the consiquences (most likely few to none), compared to the benefits of having a nice instrument + the benefits it could produce for James. If he says no after a parental involvement without a good reason, then there may be something wrong.
Good points Chuck, and Klaus. Very well thought out opinions and sound reasoning.
Casey (same name but no relation) McNeil

Follow Ups: