Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 15, 2001 at 09:13:33:

In Reply to: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by James McNeil on August 13, 2001 at 17:01:55:

James,

Considering the plethura of comments bashing the director, the school, the equipment, and the fact that you have probably now referred your director to these comments, your director is not going to be very receptive to your use of a "different" sounding horn (even though it may be better).

It is my experience as a tuba player and music store owner that most other musicians (band directors, orchestra directors, other players) have no clue about tubas and the different keys they are in and that the different key has nothing to do with the tone quality or the way it will sound relative to the rest of the organization. All tubas, regardless of key, are C instruments, that is, sounding the pitch that you see on the page without having to transpose.

So...if you would care to refer the director to someone who plays, teaches, fixes, and generally deals with band directors on a daily basis, and who went through a similar experience, give me shout at the e-mail address and I will give you my phone number and you can have the director call. A third party sympathetic to both of you can sometimes help.

Good luck with the new horn!

Follow Ups: