Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on August 15, 2001 at 12:14:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Mark Wiseman on August 15, 2001 at 11:14:40:

Am I the only director that has read these responses and thought the following response:

"Openly defy me, and you will not be in band by the end of the week."

1. I would pass out if a student of mine bought their own tuba. They would have almost free reign to use their own instrument at their leisure.

2. I am the boss in the band program at my school. I am paid by tax payer dollars to make decisions based on my experience and education. Some of those decisions are easy, while others give me headaches. Either way, I make the decisions. and that is final.

I am granted such authority by my administration and school board because they realize that I am the expert in band at the school. I have the responsibility of producing a good program while educating the students in music, teamwork concepts, and social discipline.

I also have to live with the results of those decisions. My students do not take the heat for poor results in the eyes of the community.

I don't have a problem with students mixing CC and BBb tubas. I have a problem with those of you who will openly defy authority and become disruptive in a program. I would rather have a cooperative student who is eager to work in the system than face a defiant yet highly talented superstar.

If you don't like my rules, then you can find that other band in the school system.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: