For Sale - "The Buescher" Eb sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steven on August 21, 2001 at 10:03:32:

At Lew's suggestion, I'm offering "For Sale" an instrument that I'm selling for someone.
Based on the responses from this list, I don't think anyone will be interest, but hey - the next stop will be "that auction site"!

As you all know, I'm a percussionist who wants to play low brass, and I thank all of you for your advice. What you should ask yourselves when considering this instrument is:
"Would you buy a used tuba from this man?"

This instrument is definitely "as is". The three valves work freely, but I don't know if they're worn. At the time I didn't even think of checking out the slides. There are no bits, mouthpiece or case. This Eb sousaphone is "The Buescher",
serial number #177,xxx range, so it was made between 1926 and 1927. The instrument's covered in a layer of dust, but when I rubbed away some of it to see the serial number on the valve section, it looks like it's probably silver plated. Either that or there was a silverish hue to the brass!! If there was ever any gold wash in the bell it's gone now.
Doesn't look like any major structural damage at all. Looks all fairly complete and intact.

I'd be willing to hose out the instrument for whoever buys it, and clean the dust off, but
I don't think I'll have the time to polish it!

Price is $250 US plus shipping to anyone that wants to invest a little time into having this up and running!

Best Regards,
Steven

Follow Ups: