Re: Practicing at School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on August 21, 2001 at 10:09:33:

In Reply to: Practicing at School posted by Jared on August 20, 2001 at 18:57:51:

I was the same way in High School. I practiced at LEAST three hours a day my senior year, but most of it was during 'early release' time, so no one saw me much. But if you're taking a bunch of guff from people for trying to be the best you can be, just tell 'em this:

"The quality of a person's life is directly proportional to that person's commitment to excellence, regardless of his chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

It's one of the ironies of our time that teenagers (I have three, so I know this topic) take such great pride in their individuality, but at the same time enforce and observe much greater conformity than adults. They think they have to dress the same, listen to the same music, see the same movies, and generally fall in line with one another, or their lives will be over! Take heart that you are more mature than they, smile and wisely know that you will spend the vast amount of your life with adults. You will understand them coming in, and that will open doors to you that the "big fat gooey glob of stupid people" will never even find, much less open. Whether with a tuba or in some other field, you sound like you are headed for being one of life's 'winners'.

Joe Baker, who could actually be described as a big fat gooey glob, but who would vastly prefer that to being stupid.

Follow Ups: