Re: DO monsterweights work??????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on August 22, 2001 at 00:49:21:

In Reply to: DO monsterweights work?????? posted by Alan on August 21, 2001 at 14:13:39:

I put them on my Meinl Weston 32 CC last week. I noticed a difference immediately. The difference I noticed was in centering notes with much less effort. Especially the low range around pedal F, E, Eb, and D. Projection was also better. I could push the horn much farther without any break up in the sound. This should prove true with your Miraphone as most of them tend to edge out or break apart in sound when they are pushed to hard. I tried different combinations, but so far they have worked best on 1,2,3 and 4th valves. They will fit on the 5th valve, but it was much less effective. Don't ask me why as I can only theorize. My Meinl 32 with my Monette mouthpiece already created a dark sound. With the MWTS it was not necessarily darker, but it was definitely more focused and solid. My wife's a brass musician as well and she described my sound with the MWTS as less "fluffy" and "less spread out or dispersed." It was more like a "column of sound" as apposed to a more transparent sound. I previously owned a great MW 2165, which included the "tone ring." The FEEL of my MW 32 with the MWTS is very similar as far as the way it blows. The MW 32's response is faster and, of course, the sound is not as huge as the 2165 but it feels and resonates very similar. If you're looking for an endorsement from a person with "a job," Richard Morrow is a professional performer at the top of the freelance ladder in north Texas. I have had lessons with him and had the privilege of playing along side of him as well. His endorsement is backed by experience that exceeds just about anyone who has posted about this product. Of course, the endorsement that carries the most weight is your own. Mark Finley is a honest person who will go out of his way to satisfy any consumer of his product. Since he offers a 30 day money back guarantee, what have you got to loose? I say give them a try and decide if what people are saying is true for your playing. Keep up the good work Mark! I think you have a great product/addition to the advancement of brass instrument development.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Sturgeon

Follow Ups: