Re: Re: Most emotional songs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on August 22, 2001 at 15:41:29:

In Reply to: Re: Most emotional songs posted by Russell on August 22, 2001 at 14:54:01:

Irish Tune...., also known as "Londonderry Air" and "Danny Boy", is from a collection of songs from a Miss J. Ross, first published in the "Petrie Collection of the Ancient Music of Ireland" in Dublin in 1855; according to the liner notes of Frank Hudson for the record collection of the University of Illinois recordings of Grainger

This set was recorded with Harry Begian conducting the symphonic band in the early "70's, if my information is correct about the time.

The records can be purchased through the music department at U. of I. Published by Mark Custom recording Service; Clarence, NY

MC-20206
Records #74 and 75.

The song "Danny Boy" was written from the perspective of a father who lost a son during the 1st world war, if I remember correctly. A poem that I remember from the score tells of the father's desire that the boy not go to war. The boy takes up military service, and the father laments as he sees the boy off to battle. The father learns of the boy's death, and thus the emotion shown in the music.

I will search for my score copy, and see if I can give you more.

Tom

Follow Ups: