Re: Willson 2975 euph?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on August 23, 2001 at 20:08:56:

In Reply to: Willson 2975 euph? posted by Matt G on August 23, 2001 at 16:45:52:

Rick's right, I'll chime in here.

I like the 2975; it plays like a small tuba more than a euph, but then I'm a tuba player.

A euphonist friend who accidently fell on his 70's Besson Imperial euph borrowed the 2975 while his baby was in the shop. He loved the response and sound of the horn, but couldn't stand having to use his pinky for the 4th valve. Which, I imagine, is why the 2975 never went over big among euphonium players.

OTOH, the main tuning slide is on top (as are all slides, with the exception of the 4th) and can easily be worked with the left hand; no fancy triggers needed.

Last time I checked (a few months ago) with Ed Stevens at DEG, the 2975 was still available for a couple hundred less than the 2900S.

One little annoyance is that the thumbring is too small if you have largish hands. I cut mine in half so it's sort of a "C" shape and more of a thumbrest. (I've got a spare tucked away in case I take leave of my senses and sell the horn).

Follow Ups: