Re: Re: Re: Miraphone "Premium" questions PLEASE!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on August 25, 2001 at 17:03:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Miraphone "Premium" questions PLEASE! posted by Philip Rushing on August 25, 2001 at 11:14:21:

Philip wrote: "I guess [ it's a ] BBb, since I played it the other day and I do not know how to play any other.

Philip -- sure you do (sort of)! Did you check the open tones with a tuner, tuning fork, pitch pipe, piano, bagpipes -- some reference pitch? Whether it's BBb or CC (or even Eb or F -- this still applies in a simplistic sense), all you do is buzz and play up and down scales with certain fingerings. A tuba in any key will gladly provide notes out of its bell and unless you've got perfect pitch, you may not be able to tell BBb from CC. (I doubt it's an Eb or F based on the bell diameter and height, but you could use the same mpc in an F tuba and when you use the Bb scale fingerings, you'll just be playing an F scale, half an octave up. Now your ear and embouchure WILL likely sense something's off if it's an Eb or an F tuba, however.)

Unless you checked an open tone and verified it's a Bb or an F (or a D), you don't know if it's a BBb or a CC tuba -- and we don't either. (Although at 41" tall, I'd bet it's a BBb . . . .)

What do the experts think?

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: