Re: Tuba Toss at Finland and Results

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by what a joke on August 26, 2001 at 11:07:29:

In Reply to: Tuba Toss at Finland and Results posted by Charlie Krause on August 24, 2001 at 17:41:34:

OK, here is the deal. if there was not a joke about the range of the tube and throwing it, we might not have this contest. This contest is funny, and i would do it in a heart beat. lets not lose perspective about what we are...we are role playing instruments with serious limitations. i get tired of hearing people telling people about how great a musician tuba players are...its always talk...not show. Its great that we strive to be great musicians, but the characteristics of the tuba limit it in what its role in the music world will allow it to do. How many times have you heard a great tuba player playing a solo with a band or orchestra and had trouble hearing the soloist. the tuba is just too low to do this, sometimes. I for one, only care what the audition committte thinks of my playing. i am not on a crusade to prove that tuba players are great musicians, too. I just want to play and make a living at it. lets stop trying to make it more than it is. Arnold Jacobs always said "respect comes in score order". this is not gonna change anytime soon, so lets toss a few, beers and tubas...what the hell. I know i have wanted to toss my tuba during practice sessions that werent going my way...its pay back time!!!

Follow Ups: