Will,
I studied with Neal Tidwell for some years...his comment to me in regards
to this issue was that "the skinny guys have the advantage." Now, I haven't
seen the other side of 200 lbs. since the 6th grade. I was very active in my
day job at Fedex since 1980 so even though I carried extra weight I still had
strength and muscle tone. But that weight took its toll with back and knee
problems to the extent I had to take a non-driving position last year. I have
noticed since then that I am experiencing a somewhat diminished lung capacity
as well as less ease of breathing as my weight went to 300+ lbs. Now I'm working
with my doc to both lose weight and regain the things I've lost. I've been doing
a diabetic exchange diet and low impact exercise 3X week and have lost 10 lbs. so
far and have also noticed that moving the air is getting easier. The dietician said
to imagine that extra weight around our middle as a 100 lb. weighted pack that affects
everything you do; from just breathing to posture to extra weight on your back and
joints. You have to work harder than someone without this burden to address any task,
especially breathing easy without tension which is essential for what we do. So, the
best thing for any of us who has this situation is to set reasonable and attainable
goals for weight loss through diet and regular exercise(esp. walking and swimming). This
will not only help your playing but also your overall health and longevity. I don't think
that I'll ever be "skinny", but if I can get my weight to a reasonable range and have
improved conditioning through moderate, regular exercise that it will make playing music
much easier and more enjoyable and give you some additional bonuses. Just my $.02 on this.
Rich

Follow Ups: