Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yamaha YFB822

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cerveny F impressions (Dillon has 'em) on August 28, 2001 at 19:56:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yamaha YFB822 posted by Anon on August 28, 2001 at 16:18:23:

BBS,

Earlier this month I bought Lee Stofer's 19 year old Amati F tuba, that's a virtual twin of the CFB-654-6. I'll post the link below. Its low D starts to feel a little different (slightly stuffy or uncentered), Db a little more so, and the low C and B take a little fiddling. Unlike many of the "German rotary F" tubas I played last winter which were very difficult to play in this range, I find this horn easier to play here, and I can actually play the notes with some alteration in my technique. After a few months of playing, I'll post again and let you know how it's going. [The low BBb and lower are fine, as the thumb actuated "quint" valve drops the tuba into the key of Bb, and has a bore of about .820" or so. So BBb is fingered with the RH thumb, and from there on down, you use the Eb/BBb fingerings for 1-4 with the typical 1/2 step shift occurring with low G fingered 2,3(6). The left hand 5th valve is a flat half step and so far I seldom find a need to use it. I'm very tempted to get an extra slide made for this one, tuned as a flat WHOLE step so I can learn the standard fingerings if I want to.]

I really, really do like the sound of the horn, however. I also liked the YFB-621, but the Amati (Cerveny) does have a little more focused ("German") sound. This really IS a 3/4 tuba, however, and I can clearly tell the difference when the other tubist I share the chair with in my quintet brings his pre-PT B&S F (~16" bell and large bore) to practice -- he gets a very nice sound out of his -- full and dark. My goal in buying this F, however, was to blend better in a quartet when I'm playing the euph/2nd 'bone 4th part, and it's just the ticket. For *ease* of playability, however, I do prefer the YFB-621. But it is, of course, a compromise -- sound vs. ease of playing in "that" register.

Conclusion so far: If you want a 3/4 F and REALLY want "that German sound", this one may be the best choice. If you want a 3/4 F with NO difference in playability in this mid/low range, buy the YFB-621.

Matt Walters can get you the Cerveny F tubas. The 5V version is very reasonably priced, and the 6V version is competetive with the cheaper "newer" Fs on the market. Contact Matt for price quotes.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: