Re: Who was your mentor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 30, 2001 at 08:53:43:

In Reply to: Who was your mentor? posted by Steve Dedman on August 29, 2001 at 22:35:25:

Good topic.

There have been two, 1 of them continues, and both taught (teach) musicianship first and tuba playing second. Don Hummel, a trombonist, was the first and Bill Rose the last and continues in that vein.

Studying with several great tuba players/teachers has given me a well rounded musical education. In fact, all the teachers with whom I studied emphasized musicianship first and tuba playing second. I was influenced through the years by Steve Bryant (UT-Austin) who was my 'first real' tuba teacher, Abe Torchinsky (retired Philadelphia Orchestra and the University of Michigan), Roger Bobo (LA Philharmonic at the time), and Bill Rose (retired Houston Symphony and the University of Houston)who "all" taught in similar fashions.

Don Hummel gave me a great start. Steve taught me to be delicate, Mr. T worked on orchestral literature almost exclusively, Roger taught the "phrase", and Mr. Rose is my listening post to this day.

Follow Ups: