Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting the kid a tuba.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 05, 2001 at 15:05:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting the kid a tuba. posted by Mark H. on September 04, 2001 at 20:48:14:

I wish you hadn't added this in response to my post, because now I'm compelled to dispute it or implicitly agree.

I would like to know what damage is done by that extra tubing that happens on less than half the notes in the bottom three octaves of the instrument. Or why the Bb isn't considered an advantage on the other notes, where it can play those notes with the same length of tubing but with less of it in the cylindrical valves.

Recordings showing clear comparisons, a valid scientific argument based on spectrum analysis or time-based spectrum analysis, the experiences of a real professional (not merely an academic) who is basing his comments on his own experience, or some other compelling argument must be brought to support such a statement as you make. And then you'll have to fight down those who know from their own actual personal experience (and not from what they hear from their kid's band director or teacher) that what you say just isn't so.

Rick "unconvinced" Denney

Follow Ups: