Re: Re: Upright bell for Conn 20/21/24/25J Laq

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on August 02, 2002 at 11:41:13:

In Reply to: Re: Upright bell for Conn 20/21/24/25J Laq posted by Chris B on August 02, 2002 at 10:32:30:

Hi Chris,

Yup, I agree. There are (surprisingly) a number of 2xJ Conn's available, and you can find a used one, or a redone one, at a reasonable price. And, with many of us wanting an upright bell, there must be a profit for somone who can produce them.

Matt at Dillon told me that one could be made from a Cerveny bell, but you could never dare sit the horn on the bell, as it would crush the thin brass.

I played both a 20J & a 21J in college (almost 40 years ago). Other than the bellfront being a bit awkward, I found that the upright was a little easier for the player to hear, and would take more punch without cracking a tone.

Both bells produce that pipe organ sound, and short of finding a second bell, I am certainly happy I have the 20J. I feel the same way about it as you do. They kinda spoil you for anything smaller.

Now, if someone would just come up with a good set of portable sky hooks to help haul the cases from the car to the rehearsal hall & back. You can't apprreciate the workout until you haul the two cases, tuba rest, music, music stand, and bag with mpc, valve oil, etc., in 100 degree weather. And I am no young feller anymore. I haul about as much as the entire percussion section.

My Miraphone 1270 is a whole lot lighter, and a nice small horn, but it just can't do what the big Conn does.

I appreciate you comments.

Thanks

Follow Ups: