Re: Space Filler Products

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on August 04, 2002 at 17:54:33:

In Reply to: Space Filler Products posted by Matt A on August 04, 2002 at 16:40:51:

Matt,
I think that the Space Filler, which is made here in the Atlanta area, tends to work best with smaller instruments with smaller valves. I have particularly known of french horn players who have reported great success with this product. I prefer the Hetman line of lubrication products, which is what I use both on my personal instruments and at my repair bench. Joe Hetman, an engineer as well as a musician, has not only developed the most comprehensive line of differing-viscosity lubricants for all wind instrument applications, but continues to develop the line constantly.
When I was on the phone with him Friday, I told him that I really like the combination of his #12 and #14 for normal rotors and bearings, and #11 and #13 for tight, new rotors and bearings. He told me they are about to come out with a #13.5, to offer an oil that is exactly in-between his normal and light rotor bearing oils. For fast 1st and 3rd or 4th valve slides, he offers #4 and #5 slide oils, which work as well as anything I've used. All of the Hetman products are synthetic, non-toxic, and do not contain silicone, which can build up and cause real problems later. For what it's worth, Hetman offers three different piston oils; #1 is as fast as Al Cass, but doesn't break down or evaporate - I recommend that to all euphonium players; #2 is for normal pistons, and is what I use most; #3 is called "Classic Piston" and helps old instruments with worn valves to seal and play with good valve action. This is the valve oil that is being used on the Chicago Yorks, to preserve their valve sets and playability. I do not know of any better lubrication for your instrument, and it is very reasonably priced, too.
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: