Re: So I bought the CC Tuba - What now?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on August 08, 2002 at 22:37:12:

In Reply to: So I bought the CC Tuba - What now? posted by AmanGarner on August 08, 2002 at 22:01:58:

I think the REAL question is, Will she have a use for the tuba, or might it be better to convert it to cash to fund some of the expenses which come with attending university?

It is not clear what her major will be. Is she doing a music major, or as I suspect, something in the maths/science field?

If she is merely going to be playing in the band, marching and/or concert, as a study outside her major field, she will most likely NOT need the instrument she has. It sounds like she basically is BBb oriented for playing and for the non-major band playing the school will most likely be able to provide a suitable horn for the purposes and she will not have to spend a deal of time becoming proficient on CC.

It sounds as though her interests and priorities have changed, (nothing wrong with that!) and the tools she will need for her schooling and career will have changed as a result.

It might be a good idea to sit down with her and ask what her priorities and interests are and what tools are most needed to achieve her goals. If the horn is not need and is not going to be used, well, why hang onto it if there would be better ways to invest the capital tied up in it? (I of course know nothing of your financial position - maybe it won't matter if it is not used.)

If she has decided to go into a non music area of study, don't feel that she has made a mistake. Music is NOT the most secure profession. Don't feel that the time she has spent with the tuba has been a waste either as the mere serious study of music is very good mental training as well as a way to gain an avocation which can bring life long pleasure - this seeming to be the more likely scenario.

The bottom line is, if she does not have the "interest" don't push just because she formerly thought she needed the instrument. A young person's goals and interests DO often change over time. Just assess the situation and decide accordingly. I doubt you would have much trouble recouping your investment should disposing of the tuba be the chosen approach.

Happy to discuss this further if you like.

Ken

Follow Ups: