Re: So I bought the CC Tuba - What now?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on August 09, 2002 at 00:35:26:

In Reply to: So I bought the CC Tuba - What now? posted by AmanGarner on August 08, 2002 at 22:01:58:

My guess is that she does not "need" a CC tuba (and never did).

When she asked for a CC tuba, was she taking private lessons? Did her teacher, or her band director agree that she "needed" a CC tuba?

The change in schools complicates things quite a bit, but my guess is that one factor in her "not touching" the CC tuba had to do with her finding it difficult to play the CC as well as she had been playing the BBb. The difficulties getting used to new fingerings may have been the last straw (not the biggest hurdle - but one extra hurdle nonetheless).

If she is not a music major (and even then, if she's not a tuba performance major) then her "need" for a CC tuba is completely imaginary. A perfectly good argument could be made that a BBb will actually be better for the kind of playing she will do as a "serious amateur". But, there's no need to make an argument - she's voting with her feet. The CC is idle and she's playing on a BBb. 'nuf said!

What you do with the CC is entirely dependent on your financial situation. If money is not a problem, it might make sense to pack it away and wait for future developments. If it turns out that she "needs" a BBb tuba of her own, or needs money for some other purpose, it may be time to convert the CC tuba to cash. Perhaps she will find some music major at college who has just discovered that HE "needs" a CC tuba...

Follow Ups: