Re: Why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on August 10, 2002 at 00:55:54:

In Reply to: Why? posted by Curious on August 10, 2002 at 00:36:06:

I think the problem is in what it means to actually make an album. Nowadays, you can learn 4 or 5 chords on a $400 guitar package, find 3-4 other guys who can do the same thing, scream over the distortion, and call it an album. I would almost bet that the number of quality artists in any field of music is about the same as any other.

Because of distortion, effects, pedals, amps, and the nature of the instrument, any High school kids with half a brain can produce a rock album. Put as much time into tuba as a lot of bands have put into guitar, and you wont get anywhere. That's because the tuba is harder to work into a "commercially acceptable" sound. I could never ever record a tuba album, but if i knew as much on guitar as i know on tuba, i'd be a rock god.

Remember, popular music, in order to make money, is pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Now, I am not bashing rock music. THere are plenty of fine bands out there, but I bet there are proporitonally the same amount of fine tuba soloists.

Like you, this is my late-night rambling. Keep that in mind when deciphering anything that doesn't amke sense.

Doug

Follow Ups: