Re: Bydlo...auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on August 10, 2002 at 01:04:51:

In Reply to: Bydlo...auditions posted by Eric Oliver on August 09, 2002 at 22:09:41:

First, I really think that too much emphasis is placed on this excerpt. That being said, Daryl gave some good advice, when he said play this up a whole step. If someone told you that an Ab above the staff wasn't high, you might not have any trouble with it at all. Most of the time we miss notes, it's because we're not hearing them in tune, and our faces and horns won't match. Daryl's advice to sing with a tuner comes in very handy here. If the note's in tune in your head, it'll have a much greater chance of singing out. Remember that the tuba is the LOWEST instrument in the brass family. We are paid to play notes below the staff, not above. This excerpt is not terribly difficult. Many many solos go much higher than an Ab, and people don't freak out like they do about Bydlo. If you don't eliminate yourself from the game mentally, and your chops/ears are good, you'll have no problem with Bydlo or any other "high" excerpt. Practice your low etudes, and this will build a solid foundation for upper register playing. I find that alternation between high practice (Rochuts, or something similar), and low practice (Snedecor's Low Etudes) gives me a balance of the two registers, and allows me to continue practicing without fatigue. Just keep up diligent work at playing Low, and occasionally high,(with a tuner at all times!) and Bydlo should speak for you. And if it doesn't.. who cares? It's not te end of the world.

Good Luck

Follow Ups: