Re: Bydlo...auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 10, 2002 at 06:29:02:

In Reply to: Bydlo...auditions posted by Eric Oliver on August 09, 2002 at 22:09:41:

I have a problem with a wind ensemble asking for Bydlo in the audition process. The only arrangement I know of Pictures passes the solo to the euphonium, most likely where it belongs anyhow. As I have mentioned before, there is plenty of stuff hard enough in the "band" world to audition tubist on and keep them honest and still get what the directors wants to hear. With that being said here is what I would do:

Get a euphonium. Pratice the excerpt on this. Get it as best you can, then try to play it up one octave on euph. Then play it down one octave. Then in the right octave. Get very familiar with it on euphonium.

Play it on both F and CC. Play it the octave below first on both instruments. This will solidify the feel of the intervals without straining your embouchure. Then play it up the octave on both. Get comfortable on both horns.

Take all three into the audition. Announce all three are able to be used on the excerpt. Let the director pick what sounds best. My guess would be euphonium. Instruct him that is because the part is written with the French C tuba in mind which is a step HIGHER than the normal Bb Euphonium. However, us tubist have been made to feel as though we must play it on the biggest equipment that still will project the notes.

As you may be able to ascertain, I have a thing against Bydlo being asked for in this setting. If we were auditioning for the solo tuba chair in an orchestra, than this excerpt could be left up to the player as what to play it on that expresses their musical ideas best. Play the excerpt on what feels most comfortable. Practice it down an octave if your on tuba to get the feel for the melody, i.e. the phrasing, intervals, articulation, etc. Then take it up to where it is written and try to make music out of it as best as possible. If you airball the high Ab, it doesn't matter that much if the rest of the excert was enjoyable music for the listener. Believe me, I can still get through most of the excerpt on a CC with the high Ab's, but it probably just isn't that enjoyable to listen to.

Matt G

Follow Ups: