Re: Herndon Virginia community band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat on August 10, 2002 at 13:38:29:

In Reply to: Herndon Virginia community band? posted by Jerry on August 06, 2002 at 11:08:48:

The information actually appeared in the Herndon Connection of 11-17 July 2002. It's a cover story but I haven't been able to find it on-line. The Herndon Council for the Arts is doing a survey of interest. Excerpt below:

"Band Together - Looking For Musicians; Town of Herndon Looks To Start Town Band

by Sarah Briney, The Connection

The Town of Herndon wants to bring music to its community. The Council for the Arts in Herndon is looking to start a Herndon band and a Herndon orchestra. The Council for the Arts is currently conducting a survey to see if there is enough interest to do so. . . .

'We have the Town Square singers but we don't have a town band or town orchestra,' said Council for the Arts of Herndon president Harlon Reece. 'We're just trying to see if there's any interest in starting one.'

Anyone who is interested in starting a Herndon band and or [sic] Herndon orchestra is encouraged to contact The Council for the Arts of Herndon to take part in the survey. They are interested in hearing from people of all ages and talent. Contact the Council of Arts [sic] by phone at 703-689-9535 or by email at karenc(AT)herndonarts.org"

One thing I will tell them in my reply is to check out the nearby success story of Loudoun Concert Band and consider using that approach as a model (the article contemplates requiring auditions, which would kill it before it gets off the crowd IMHO), also Vienna Band. Another would be that, whenever they decide on rehearsal times, don't have them Sunday night (Vienna Band) or Tuesday night (Loudoun Band). I can only echo what Mark and Rick say about Loudoun Band (name changed recently); it's a great group. Also Vienna Band. Here are the websites of each:

Vienna: http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~carroll/vienna/

Loudoun: http://www.lcbandinc.org/

Follow Ups: