Re: Hated my 20J, Blasphemy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on August 10, 2002 at 20:27:42:

In Reply to: Hated my 20J, Blasphemy? posted by Feldspar Slim on August 10, 2002 at 17:11:03:

I played a 20J and a 21J in college. Later in the service I had to settle for a 20K suzi, and an old York suzi in community band. I just started back, about 3 months ago, after 38 years away from playing.. I went and tried a number of horns, M Weston, Mirafone (also have 2 of them), Cerveny, Alexander, King, - I went back to a 20J.

What can I say. The 20J's are big and heavy, a lot more to deal with than my little Mirafone - but nothing else I have tried satisfies the way that big Conn does. (Kinda like a good stout beer vs. a wimpy watery one) Well, after almost 40 years of inactivity, I am not much good, but am having a lot of fun trying.

I was fortunate to have not had the chance to meet up with a 20J until my freshman year in college, so I did not have to struggle with the horn until I was already capable enough to get a seat in the wind ensemble, and since I was around 200lbs, it was not too bad for me to handle. At my age now, it is a lot to handle, but it is still more fun to play than anything else I have tried.

I guess it all boils down to a statement I heard an older feller make back when I was a teenager "I's a good thing everyone doesn't like the same thing - otherwise they would all be chasing my wife!"

Follow Ups: