Re: Bydlo...auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on August 10, 2002 at 22:19:54:

In Reply to: Bydlo...auditions posted by Eric Oliver on August 09, 2002 at 22:09:41:

Hi,

You might want to try making sure that you're able to play it cold every day before the audition (in other words, play it without having played a note yet). This is exactly how you'll have to do it in an orchestra (switching from CC to F). The day before, try playing it straight through cold, then run it a couple more times afterwards. But whatever you do, please be careful with your chops. Trust your instincts. Also picking up a euph what - two weeks before an audition? - to play Bydlo would be to me like someone handing me an Eb trumpet and saying, "here, play Heldenleben." Yeah, maybe it could be done, but I wouldn't have a sound (or an embouchure for that matter) I had worked on over the past ten years on tuba. For me, that solo has enough pitfalls as it is without having to learn a whole different instrument. Anyway, you might decide that all this is irrelevant and go your own path. Whatever you do, best of luck!

Thanks,
Aubrey

By the way, please think very hard before you tell the person who chose the audition rep to change it. It's really easy to burn bridges the first semester of your first year, especially if the person who chose the rep is the conductor!

Follow Ups: