Re: Mouthpiece boosters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on August 11, 2002 at 16:22:23:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece boosters posted by Charley UK on August 10, 2002 at 12:10:33:

Some sound boosters only go on the shank and some go around the cup (the Wick kind). I have seen advertisements for trumpet sound sleeves that go on the shank and vary in length, depending on the type of variation in the sound wanted.

Joseph Klier makes some for tuba that fit on the shank.

I was just rereading the Schilke Brass clinic which says that the outer shape of the mouthpiece has no effect on the sound. Apparently, the location of mass on the outside does have an effect on the sound according to some mouthpiece manufacturers, including for example the new Wicks, the mouthpieces of Mike Finn, and so on. I mention this fact because a booster is a kind of a half-way step to a heavy mouthpiece.

I wanted to find a sound booster to make a Parker mouthpiece I have heavier. I bought it from PHil Parker in London. It is a small tuba mouthpiece, inner rim size 31, with a round outer shape. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Wick does not yet make bosters for contrabass tuba. Thanks, Bill

Follow Ups: