Re: Bach Cello Suites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather McDown on August 14, 2002 at 10:53:48:

In Reply to: Bach Cello Suites posted by Hiram Diaz on August 14, 2002 at 04:32:35:

First of all, congrats to you winning Falcone student division!! That's amazing. I'm planning on entering this coming year. ANYWAY, back to what you were asking...

My instructor has always done a great job playing these on tuba. I don't know how he does it, but he does, so that probably doesn't give you much advice at all. I just enjoy listening to these on a brass instrument.....maybe I'll work some up one of these days.

Why don't you listen to a recording of Yo-Yo Ma playing them? I mean, afterall, aren't you going to be trying to mimic a cello? Mimicing is a very big aspect of playing, you can only play as well as the things you have to mimic (I.E. teachers, the people you listen to most). Every major musician mimics the capabilities of other musicians, even if they aren't playing the same instrument as them. I bet Dr. Bowman mimics famous violinists, opera singers, even down to percussionists sometimes, and look where he is. Mimicry is a huge factor in covering such a wide musical scope that we have.

I know that all wasn't that much help, but that was my two cents. Good luck, and I hope to hear you perform sometime in the near future!

- Heather

Follow Ups: