Re: Future for me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JP on August 14, 2002 at 19:54:47:

In Reply to: Future for me posted by Chris on August 14, 2002 at 16:32:57:

Just a few replies to your observations.

"Music teachers don't make a lot of money"
That is true, since no one in education below the administrative level is getting rich, however teachers' salaries are getting better and liking what you do makes up for a high paying job with a ton of BS.

"You know that when budget cuts come around at schools, art programs such as music are the first to go."

Yes, and when revenues in the corporate world shrink, people get downsized. Something to think about though, there are communities that would sooner close their school altogether than cut a valuable program like art or music. It just depends on the community.

"Music teacher jobs are competitive."

So is any job in any other field worth going into!

"People look down on music teachers."

You can find people who look down on any profession including Doctors, Lawyers, etc... There never has been and never will be any shortage of people who are either too arrogant or too stupid to realize that all jobs have their pros and cons and no one really knows what a job is all about until they have done it.

"People in the world think that music teachers are less important
than English, Math, Science, or history."

Yes, and there are people in the world who think that Varsity Football is more important than any subject taught in school. And to be honest, who's to say they are wrong? Just because people believe that something is true, that doesn't make it so.

"I am crazy for majoring in music"

Yes, you probably are! :-) But no crazier than the people who major in things that they don't really love for all of the wrong reasons. As a famous poet once said (and I am sure I am not going to get it perfect)

"I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

Leave the "safe" jobs and the "well worn paths" for the masses of people who are either not suited for or are too afraid to follow their hearts. It's their loss!

Follow Ups: