Hartley - Sonata

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Oompah-man on August 14, 2002 at 21:50:59:

My solo playing (to the few who are familiar) has mostly been associated with playing F or Eb tubas.

I may be involved in a solo recital with a couple of other tuba friends in October, and it might be well-attended. My friends are very talented players, and it should be fun.

I am considering programming the Walter Hartley Sonata because:

- I've been drawn to this piece in the distant past, but have never played it in public.
- It's not a typical "tuba piece": In my opinion, it doesn't rely on "show business" to be affective. I think this piece stands for itself and if played simply "makes its own music" - perhaps similar to the way that the music of Brahms does.
- It is an extremely expressive work: dodecaphonic, but very melodic - and does not ignore the effects/affects of traditional harmony.
- It is (in my view) a contrabass tuba solo, and I would like to show myself and others that I can communicate musically as a soloist with a contrabass tuba.
- I think this is a very strong piece and a major solo repertoire sonata that is largely ignored.

I would be borrowing the CC tuba, but am very comfortable with it. Also, this particular tuba's playing characteristics are (to me) ideal for the Hartley.

What are your thoughts of the Hartley Sonata ?

- Do you agree that it is well-suited for contrabass?
- Do you like the piece?
- Is this a piece that - if performed well - would be enjoyable for you to listen to at a recital?

(I may also play the Debussy Syrinx on F tuba.)

Follow Ups: