Re: Future for me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ernst on August 14, 2002 at 23:43:14:

In Reply to: Future for me posted by Chris on August 14, 2002 at 16:32:57:

Hey,

I got my undergraduate degree in music (tuba perf.) and then went to law school (Yale). I will say that neither degree was easy. Everyone in law school thought I was underqualified with my music degrees becasue everyone else had degrees in poly sci or history or english, which, in my book, makes them at most equally less qualified. To end this story I moved to a small-ish town and have a practice and play in a community band and teach lessons to the younger generation. I say all of this to get to the point, which is:

Everyone's interests are different, and if you love music and you love teaching then go for it and you will survive. You probably won't become a tycoon (unless you have outside capital flow), but you'll be happy. I went to law school becasue of family pressure. I am a lawyer becasue it makes good money and I feel like I am helping some people. I don't make much teaching lessons and nothing at all for my community band, but, I have more fun in those realms than is conceivable in my law practice. Carve your own niche. Having said this, my wife sister is a tax lawyer, and she, strange as it may sound, LOVES tax law. She lives and breathes tax law like I live and breathe music. So...go figure.

You will only cheat yourself if you don't pursue your dreams and aspirations. "Everyone" will always be there to cirticize and say things, but that doesn't matter. If you do something for yourself and disregard those tearing you down, you will have found the road to happiness.

Ernst Schullemann

Follow Ups: