Re: Beginner book for 10 year old on 4V BBb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on August 19, 2002 at 14:35:21:

In Reply to: Beginner book for 10 year old on 4V BBb? posted by rbastedo on August 19, 2002 at 12:23:10:

Congratulations to you and your son! I wish I'd have had the opportunity to start the tuba in 5th grade.

I'd suggest getting him good and familliar with reading music first... bass and treble clefs thoroughly. I'd also second Jay B.'s recommendation. A book written by a respectable tubist, for tubists. The Rubank books seem (to me) like they were written more for band directors who give their students individual lessons. When I first started teaching lessons I used the Rubank books for the younger students, but quickly found new material for my tuba and trombone lessons. I still use the Rubank books for a few woodwind students I teach through Schmitt music, but I supplement it with a lot of stuff I wrote myself.

And of course, I'd suggest private lessons. They'll help your return after 25 years go more smoothly, for certain. Also, a private teacher will be able to tell what you(and your son) need, and provide advice far better than anyone on this BBS. Best of luck, and congratulations, again!

Anthony

Follow Ups: