Re: Replacing lead pipe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 23, 2002 at 08:06:51:

In Reply to: Replacing lead pipe posted by Teddy on August 23, 2002 at 00:33:09:

The best advice I can give you is to contact the R. Meinl factory and have them send out a replacement leadpipe for your horn. You didn't specify in your original post what kind of leadpipe you were using to replace the damaged one so I thought I would just advise you to get an original Rudy leadpipe as a replacement. While it is important how the leadpipe is installed, I think the bigger issue is having a leadpipe of the correct proportions.

A very good friend of mine, whose leadpipe wore out on his RM-10 CC, had a very well known repairman and leadpipe fabricator make him a replacement. This friend told me the horrible story of how he took his horn to this repairman for a checkup and cleaning and the repairman showed him just how bad a shape his leadpipe was in by putting a screwdriver right through the leadpipe! My friend was horrified but this repairman assured him that the leadpipe he would manufacture would be even better than the original. After the work was completed, my friend was VERY disappointed in the results. He told me the horn didn't play nearly as well as before the procedure.

When I heard this story, it got me thinking. Years after, I had my horn (also an RM-10 CC) into the shop and it was discovered that my leadpipe had some red rot. Nothing really bad but definitely the start of decay. I contacted Rex Martin (at that time, the main R. Meinl representative in the US) and ordered a new factory leadpipe replacement. That leadpipe is sitting in my closet, awaiting the day that my old leadpipe gives out. For me, I don't want to take any chances that a non-standard leadpipe might make the horn unusable. Of course, leadpipes are hand made and, as such, are somewhat variable. That said, I trust the original manufacturers to do the best job of making a functional leadpipe for their own product.

Considering that the Rudy 5/4 design hasn't changed at all (to my knowledge) in my lifetime, I would bet that the factory could provide you with a leadpipe very nearly identical to the one that was damaged. If I were you, I'd contact Lee Stofer and see how to proceed. He'll know exactly what steps to take to get you a factory replacement. Good luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: