Re: Mirafone 1295 updates, thoughts/opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Joles on August 23, 2002 at 12:51:46:

In Reply to: Mirafone 1295 updates, thoughts/opinions posted by Phil Golson on August 22, 2002 at 09:00:15:

Hey Phil,

I can't speak to the new 1295 but my 1290 plays great… after several modifications by Robb Stewart (here in L.A.).

I bought my 1290 last September from Dave Fedderly for an AMAZING price that included a new gig bag and UNITEK flight case. The horn played very well when I first got it. I assumed that, due to the size of this horn, I couldn't "rattle the windows" at first and would need to get used to the bigger size (reads: more air!).

After a few months on the horn I was so in love with the sound that I really didn't care that I couldn't get the low register to "pop" the way you can on most Mirafone tubas. So after the Fall playing season with the LA Winds was over, I took the 1290 to Robb and asked him to give her a good tune-up and to shorten the 5th valve to a flat whole step - to possibly improve pedal register intonation.

When I picked up "Emily" from Robb's, we talked at length about how far out of alignment the pistons were. Robb had to add an extra 3/8" of felt to the underside of the valve caps and an extra 1/4" of cork under the piston cover. He told me that the folks at Mirafone weren't quite the "piston valve experts" they ought to be. As for the shortening of the fifth valve THAT was the best thing I could of had done to "Emily." It made the pedal register soooo much easier to play. The "new alignment" of the valves made the 1290 play more like a BIG Mirafone than ever before. I loved her even more. Also a water key to the bottom of the third valve tubing was a must.

The only bug-a-boo that still haunts me is the F# first space below the staff is about 25cents flat with just second valve. It has to be played 2/4 to bring it in tune.The B's above and below the F# are just fine with only second valve. Other than that, I love the horn and the sound I get with it. If any or all of these problems have been addressed and fixed by Mirafone in the 1295 you should buy one by all means. You won't be sorry.

If you need any other questions about my horn answered or better explained just email me privately and I'll do what I can to help.

Cheers,
Bob "loves his 1290" Joles

Follow Ups: