Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What A Horn (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on August 23, 2002 at 14:25:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What A Horn (long) posted by Rick Denney on August 23, 2002 at 09:16:10:

I started using 1-2, but hadn't heard of "intonation" at the time... fortunately for me, I was still in a stage of "everything-is-new-to-me" when I started using the third valve.

I also have a someone different use for alternate fingerings, not at all related to intonation- Last year I was working on (I think) one of the Marcello sonatas, where there are long eighth-note passages with lots of E's and A's starting the phrases. The begining of each phrase was articulated differently than the rest of the phrase(which was either slurred, or VERY legato). I was having trouble making the differentiation obvious, especially at the faster tempo I was playing. My teacher suggested that the reason it was all kind of blending together was the fact that I was treating them all the same, and asked that I try something different on the begining of the phrases(and left it up to me what to try)
..so, not quite sure what to try, I played the beginings of the phrases with the 1-2 alternate fingering, and lo-and-behold, it made a world of difference! I don't do that regularly, but that small trick changed the way I look at interpretting music. Looking at the phrases differently helped me produce the idea I was hearing in my head... that little trick gave me a better idea of how to look at the phrases. Anyone else do anything like that?

Anthony "who's favourite part of being a student is those rare moments when I conciously realize that I've just slightly improved" Labelle

Follow Ups: