Re: My OLD King (Navy) Tuba - overdue update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by retry w/o pic-faster on August 27, 2002 at 15:08:20:

In Reply to: My OLD King (Navy) Tuba - overdue update posted by Philip Jensen on August 27, 2002 at 09:41:36:

Let's try this again. The students are back and the server is groaning and slowing things down. It is best to access my site in the morning before they drag themselves out of bed (10:00 AM) Or, if you want I can email pictures.

Well, I've finally updated my web page with pictures of my old King tuba that my parents rescued from a junkshop in May of 2001. It was made for the Navy and the serial # puts it as made
before 1915. I've been playing it since May of this year. I love it! Right now it is at Dillons having it's 4th valve tuning slide shortened and a few other minor things done to it.

I've got two pictures of it next to a new King. The bell and bottom bow look identical. Unfortunately we were in a hurry and I didn't have time to play the new King for comparison - I
know...... I've also got pictures of it next to a detachable bell King for comparison. The Old King has a much richer tone, speaks easier, and has better both bottom and high ends compared to
the detachable bell model. Intonation unfortunately is not quite as good - we'll see when I get the horn back.

Also, pictures of my latest addition to the collection. A Euphoniun with a serial number only 125 higher than that of the tuba, also made for the Navy!!! Unfortunately it need a new 4th valve.

Follow Ups: