Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on August 29, 2002 at 08:55:46:

In Reply to: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Shane on August 29, 2002 at 06:27:33:

Why not! I can remember (almost a half century ago) when I was in Jr High school, our band director takling about a school in rural Pennsylvania (I think) where the teacher/director had all of his brass students learn on cornet/trumpet, baritone/trombone, horn or Eb upright/mellophone, and tuba. It made them (in theory) all able to sub on any brass, and I understand that they learned quicker, and had better embachures (sp) as a result. If you have a group of kids that really want to learn, why not! Nothing wrong with the sound of a brass band. Might want some percussion to put with it though.

Some community bands nowadays are brass only. One in northern Delaware is all brass.

And, a few years ago, a guy I went to college with at U of D, later had a Jr High marching band at a school in rural Delaware that beat a number of high school bands in competitions - he had quite a reputation locally. One of his students in that band is a younger co-worker of mine today, and is still very proud of what his Jr High band accomplished. So a group of rural kids can get it done.

Follow Ups: