Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat on August 29, 2002 at 10:28:06:

In Reply to: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Shane on August 29, 2002 at 06:27:33:

When I was in School some 40 - 45 years ago there was little more than study hall when the band period was scheduled. Why? Nearly half the high school enrolment was in band. It was 110 members strong as I remember in a community of about 2,500 people. Was it the band program itself, the directors, the students' attitudes alone? Perhaps some of all of these, but the real reason was the unbelievable support from the band members' parents and people in the community. The music department in or school system was important to our community and it was very obvious. When we marched out onto the football field the community had something to be proud of. Building a band is a very tough job without this support. It is sad, but this type of support seems almost nonexistent today. I have been to high school band concerts where there weren't enough people in the audience to represent even the parents and families of the band students. Many of them visited during much of the concert, and I have seen many times where people have gotten up and left or came in while the band was playing. Where is the encouragement for a student to want to be a part of an organization with these situations? Brass band, Dixieland band, jazz band, you name it. It's tough to get kids interested anymore. I think society's priorities are messed up.

Much luck with whatever you try. Learning an instrument and being in a band teaches us many things and can provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

Follow Ups: