Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on August 31, 2002 at 08:22:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Brian on August 30, 2002 at 23:48:02:

Hey guys,

I didn't mean to imply that Brian was suggesting that, I just wanted to share my experience. In all actuality, the band director that told me that girls play "flute and clarinet" was a woman, and she played the trombone! Again, I didn't mean to say that Brian was doing this, although it sounded like that. (I'm not coherent when I get upset.)

I didn't mean for it to sound like Brian was spreading the stereotype, which I realize it did sound like. i wasn't making sense, so I apologize for misunderstanding. Most tuba players are not biased (at least in my experience), I was merely suggesting that the girls may be taught this at an earlier age (before they even get to band-age), and I think as Brian is saying he would do, should be told they can do whatever they would like.

I think Brian's point that a band should be kept a wind band is true to not forcing girls to play instruments they don't want to... I mean, if they are in a brass band and actually want to play woodwinds, yeah, then they would be forced into brass instruments.
I get it, believe me. No hard feelings.... (:

Follow Ups: